I’m always trying to figure out what to do with zucchinis. In a few short months every person I know will be offering me baskets of them and so I figure this year I’ll start experimenting early so when the time comes I can graciously refuse them and tell people what they can do with them.
Today when I first entered a new Indian Market that has opened near me I discovered how embarrassingly deficient I am in the knowledge of Indian cookery. After speaking to the owner and asking for help in explaining some of the spices, she kindly walked with me down the spice aisle for a mini-lesson. I became interested in the anardana powder which is ground dried pomegranate seeds. The seeds can be purchased to grind at home, but I was in no mood to grind seeds today so I bought the powder. The flavor of anardana powder is sweet and sour, and used in most everything from breads, desserts, vegetables and meats. Before I left the store I bought fresh mint, and cilantro, (two herbs I am more than aware of.) I drove home thinking of those two zukes on my kitchen counter and what I was going to do with them and here is what I came up with.
Zucchini & Dried Cranberry Cakes
Two large zucchini
½ cup dried cranberries
1 egg
½ flour
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoons anardana powder (ground pomegranate seeds)
½ teaspoon curry powder
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon salt
A small bunch of mint leaves (about 7 to eight) roughly chopped not minced
Small bunch of cilantro roughly chopped not minced
Oil for frying
Rehydrate cranberries in hot water, and chop, do not mince. Cut the zucchinis in half and take out the seeds with a spoon and then grate. Add the eggs and mix well. Then add the rest of the ingredients except flour, make sure all is mixed thoroughly. Then add the flour and mix until everything is well incorporated.
Put enough oil to cover the bottom of a wide skillet (you are not deep frying these) and heat the oil. When the oil is ready drop scoops (about two tablespoons) of the mixture in the hot oil, when you see the sides starting to brown turn them carefully with a fork.
These cakes are sweet, fresh and savory, you do not need a dipping sauce.
No comments:
Post a Comment